21 S Main St, Sharon, MA 02067-1917
- (781) 784-6771 office
Our office's listings
More about Sharon- Hammond
Sharon was established in 1740 as the 2nd Precinct of Stoughton in 1740. It was incorporated as the Town of Stoughtonham in 1765 and named Sharon in 1783. Native Americans hunted and fished in the area for hundreds of years before British settlers arrived in 1637. During the American Revolution, the townspeople--mostly farmers and craftsmen--made cannonballs for the Continental Army. Among the old houses surviving from the Revolutionary War era are the houses of the patriots Job Swift and Deborah Sampson Gannett.
Located 22 miles midway between Boston and Providence, Sharon has access to Boston and Providence via MBTA commuter trains, and to New York City and Washington, D.C., via Amtrak trains at nearby Route 128 station. Its population of 18,000--32 percent are children under 19, 56 percent are adults 25-64 years, and 10 percent are seniors over 65--lives mostly in single-family houses ranging from relatively modest ranches to luxury properties. Many town residents have second- and third-generation family roots in Sharon, but the town is also notable for its diversity and openness to newcomers. An Interfaith Clergy Council and an "Affirming Diversity" group foster cooperative understanding among several varieties of Christian and Jewish congregations, an Islamic mosque, and a Unitarian church as well as adherents of Eastern religions, and the group sponsors an annual Martin Luther King Day Celebration.
Sharon’s town motto, “A nice place to live because it’s naturally beautiful,” is displayed in Post Office Square. Lake Massapoag is known for its concerts, fireworks, fishing, and swimming on Memorial Beach. From the 1800’s until the 1940’s, Sharon was a summer resort to which people would come to stay at inns and hotels and to enjoy the clean air and the Lake. The Town proudly holds the 2,250-acre Massachusetts Audubon Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary and has 60% of Borderland State Park, comprising 1,260 acres, within its borders. Sharon is also home to the Warner, Massapoag Brook, and King Philip’s Rock nature trails. In addition, the Town has been successful in preserving an additional 1,500 acres of its area of 24 square miles as public conservation land, totaling more than 5,000 acres of protected open space in Sharon.