Whether your dream home is a new construction or existing home, it helps to know what to look for, and have a plan.
The list below and your Coldwell Banker-affiliated agent will help you conduct a home search, negotiate, and close on a new home.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage, check your credit report, type of mortgage, shop for best rates and programs.
- Determine your wants and needs: style of home, size, price, location, etc.
- Seek out a Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Realtor. Compare the services of different agents and look for good personal chemistry.
- Check out the neighborhoods, schools, crime rate, traffic, zoning, and commuting distance.
- Rely on your Coldwell Banker agent’s expertise and resources.
- Do the due diligence and research on your property of interest.
- Visit or have your agent visit the town or city hall to learn of any zoning changes, liens, easements, or other restrictions.
- Have your sales associate prepare a property value study, and ask the seller if there are any other offers and his motivation for selling, deadlines, etc.
- Conduct home inspections and other inspections.
- Prepare your offer and negotiate.
- Take advantage of the inspection contingencies in your offer and get thorough inspections to eliminate any surprises after you move in.
- Use the inspection report to renegotiate, if necessary.
- Conduct final negotiations.
- Do a walk-through inspection prior to closing.
- Visit your new home one last time before sitting down at the closing table to make sure everything is as you expect it to be.